Sunday, May 20, 2007

Teaching writing

I wanna share my experience with my other class EDCI 523- Teaching writing.

This course introduces us basic teaching theories and principles, related researches, teaching methods. Among the resources used, I found Tompkins’ book “Teaching Writing – Balancing Process and Product” incredibly helpful. It is a complete step by step tool for writing teachers. The book discusses about five-stages writing process, writing workshop, mini-lessons, writing strategies and skills, writing assessment, its procedure and techniques and introduces writing genres like journal, letter, biography, expository writing, narrative writing, descriptive writing, poetry writing and persuasive writing. The book accompanying CD also gives an extraordinary insight into actual classroom teaching. In addition, Mrs. Beltran’s knowledgeable and practical guidance throughout all small projects gives great experiences on owning the knowledge and skills taught in this course. Thus, this course gave me a new look at writing procedure. After all, being English teacher means being able to teach them an academic English, most of all, how to write, I think. I want to be a teacher who is able to help children and adults how to write in English in a sophisticated manner. Being exposed to the principles and practices, now it is up to me to excel the skill.

No comments: